This is the video of my second micro-teaching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkPQfR7nk4
Lesson in a nut shell:
1. Watch a video introducing the topic.
2. Make a list of bad manners in various places.
-Begin MT here.
3. Read the article.
4. Answer questions about the article
5. Culture questions.
6. Isolate "should have."
7. Watch video of bad manners. Correct the bad manners.
8. Act out the bad behavior, and offer a correction.
Thing that I did well from my own estimation:
I thought the directions that I gave where well done. I repeated the directions with a one word comp. check. I think that one word questions is the best way to go. I also like how I broke the directions down into chucks, and I used very simple words.
The type 1 and type 2 activities were adequate for the students to understand the reading selection. And the culture questions were in place to look at the underlying reasons for the behavior described in the article.
I didn't speak more than two sentences at a given time, even when I was giving an explanation of "jaywalking."
Things that I could have done differently.
I should probably lower the level of my voice. It did go up in tone a couple of times. It was usually when I wanted to highlight something. I do this unconsciously. I'm use to having a big classroom with noisy students, so I feel that I need to speak with a loud voice. I think in the past two or three weeks that I've gotten the feel for controlling the classes better, so I probably don't need to use a booming voice as much.
I could have asked a follow up question for the comprehension questions, just to get into the meat of the article. This probably would have increased the level of dialogic discourse in the room.
While the students were reading or doing their activities, I probably could have moved around the room, and checked on the students' progress.
Overall, I think that this MT went fairly well, just a couple of tweaks would have made it better.
I think I've gone the opposite way from you in that even though I have noisy classes, my loud classroom voice hasn't carried over into the SMU classes, rather I think I have been too quiet when teaching. (in my presentation stage redo for example). In my opinion,voice levels are based a lot on whether you grow up in a country with a lot of space or not (for example the USA and Australia compared to the UK). If controlling the volume of your voice is difficult (from my experience it is difficult for me to alter my voice level sometimes) then another option is focusing on the tone of you voice and trying to project as happy and friendly a tone as possible.
ReplyDelete