Friday, May 3, 2013

Week of May 4 Reflection

This week was test time, so I didn't have any classes this week. For my review, I reviewed the fourth lesson that I had with Grade 2.

The warm-up was my old staple: "What happens next?" I think the students enjoy this activity.  However, I didn't have the students make complete sentences like I should have. And it is really difficult to create a follow-up with the students.  But it's purpose is to create a fun atmosphere, and I think that it does it's job well.

For some reason, I was never able to quite get the Grade 2 lessons right.  The grammar points didn't always lend themselves to make a great basis for a lesson. For this lesson, the first point that was covered was "What does that mean?" For the presentation, I told a corny Konglish joke about a 5 year old onion being an "oh nyeon." This was to set up the phrase: "I'm smiling from ear to ear." I printed out a big smiling face on a big piece of paper, and asked "Really?" And, so that was my presentation for that point.

We did a listening activity and then a speaking activity. I did the speaking activity the wrong way. I presented the vocabulary before the listening activity, and had the students do both the book activity and the gap fill activity on the worksheet at the same time. In reality, I should have done the vocabulary last. The students do the book activity first, and then after listening to it the first time, I should have had them do the gap fill activity.

The class that I recorded was a lower level class. My co-teacher spent a couple of minutes translating the dialog into Korean. So, I don't know if doing some of the cultural context questions mentioned in ICC would have been helpful. I should definitely try it next week.

The speaking activity involved matching an English idiom with the correct meaning. This activity was an ill-conceived role-playing activity. The problem is that really the activity would have involved two students, and I didn't give any instructions for dialog.

The second half involved the second grammar point, "What would you like to do?" I did a quick introduction, and listening activity. I finished the lesson with a game incorporating this point. A student would draw the picture on the board, and then the other students would have to say, "I'd like to..." The students seemed to enjoy this activity the most. However, I did notice that the same 5 or 6 students would raise their hand to venture a guess. I need to find a way to expand this.

So, overall, during this lesson, the teacher talked quite a bit. I need to work on designing the speaking activities better, and maybe increase the number of speaking activities from 2 to 3.

2 comments:

  1. Stuart -- I think it's time for you to make some progress. How about trying to anticipate problems that you mention here only catching after you do them? This would require visualizing the lesson beforehand in detail, and predictng possible problems. These predicitions can be made if you apply the readings, discussions, handouts and feedback we've been using each week in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah -- I just realized you were looking over an old lesson. Fair enough -- when classes start again, let's see some anticipation, OK?

    ReplyDelete