So, this week with my Grade 2 class. The grammar point is "What are you going to do next weekend?" And the answer. The entire lesson is based around this point. The preview will be a Power Point. The schema will involve pictures, and I've included a bit of scaffolding to help my students understand the structure. I don't anticipate the students having too much difficulty because this structure is a common one. But if they do, on the handout, they can write it down on the designated spot.
Next up is the listening activity. The book has a nice Type 1 activity. The activity is matching what the boy and girl will do. After listening 1 time, the class will answer the book activity. I don't anticipate any difficulty. Most of the students do this easily. Type 2 activity is fill in the blank while listening. The difficulty I foresee is some students not doing this. I will walk around the class to check for completion. Because there will probably be several that do not do it. I will probably have to play it a third time.
Next is a speaking activity. I am going to have them practice the grammar point in pairs. The students will ask "What are you going to do _____?" for 3 dates. To make it interesting, I'm going to ask for suggestions for the first 2 from my students. During this, I will usually wait several seconds before giving a scaffolding hint. (Of something that might be my idea.) The difficulty here is obviously student participation. I will have the students write down their answers on the handout. That way I can check for accuracy. If a student is giving me a blank look, then I can give him scaffolding hints to help him understand. This will probably take up the most time because there will probably be some students that I will need to cajole to finish the assignment.
Next, I am going to try an ICC SPEAKING activity with the dialog that was listened to. Since this is the first time I have ever done this type of activity, I really don't know what to expect. I am having the students answer 4 questions about the dialog. I will model the first question with the students. The questions are:
1. Where are Sora and the boy talking? Why?
- They are talking at ____ because_____.
I will have the students answer the blanks. I will press for specific answers to make this exchange dialog.
2. Do you think they are good friends? Why?
3. How does Sora feel about the magic lesson? Why?
I want the students to pick up Sora's closing, "That's good."
4. I want the students to rewrite the dialog as if the boy and Sora were adults.
-This will be a four line dialog. This will afford them the opportunity to practice the grammar point one time.
If I have time, I'll try to get some students to say the dialog. If this activity is too complicated, then I will cut question number 4.
The final activity is a speaking game. I'll have the students watch "Mr. Bean Makes a Sandwich." I'll stop the video at various points, and ask the students "What is Mr. Bean going to do?" To make it dialog, I'll ask the students why?
To help move the class along, I'll post the class agenda on the WB.
Rereading this: I should clarify the Type 1 activity for the listening involves 4 pictures, and the words "boy and girl." The students need to match the activity to what the boy did and the girl did. That way they get the gist of what was said.
ReplyDeleteThat way, they get the 'details' of what was said. This sounds like a sequencing activity. Burt what is the conversation about? What are they talking about? This question asks a gisting question -- a main idea question. that's what gist is. I don't think you have a Type 1 task. You have two necessary Type II tasks (one focused on textual info, the other on lingustic analysis). These correspond to TDBU and BU on Richard's and Bill's graphic.
ReplyDelete